Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Crowdsourcing with a focus of History

One of the students at Virginia Tech, Vikram Mohanty, has created a website called Civil War Photo-Sleuth where he seeks to recover the lost identities of portraits of the American Civil War Era. As a whole, there are thousands upon thousands of photos that have survived however, only a selection of individuals have been identified. So, this genius student has come up with crowdsourcing and computer-face technology to piece together clues from photographs to help solve the mystery of these individuals who played such a vital role within the American Civil War. On his website, you will have to create an account to log into the website afterward, you can see all the research and crowdsourcing that he has done to help support his mission.

As for my final project, Google hasn't contacted my historic site so, I have been in contact with my intern supervisor and I am waiting for him to tell me what he wants me to do to help bring Brentsville more accessible online. I will see him on Saturday if I do not hear back from him this week!       

No comments:

Post a Comment